Thursday, March 15, 2012

Somehow I forgot "200 Hotels"

Frank Zappa was way ahead of his time. When the Beatles were recording Abbey Road EP they were using an 8-track mixer, maing it possible to record eight tracks simultaneously, Frank was suing a 16-track mixer. His arrangements and compositions hearken back to a time when composers ruled over Europe's popular music scene, a period that produced what's known today as "classical" music.

One of Frank's projects was a film to accompany an album of the same name, 200 Hotels. Both are about how life on the road can drive a band crazy.

It was one of the films I put on the other night when I couldn't sleep and was perusing Netflix's offerings of sci-fi. I watched only a few minutes before realizing I wasn't in the mood for the 1969 Zappa piece.

Some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment