Thursday, September 27, 2012

Rather Complicated

Okay...think about it slowly. The heel comes down as the momentum is moving "forward". As this is happening the muscles in the middle are readying the toes, which get rolled into as the knee gets right above them, lifting the heel. Now the weight is moving from the palm of the foot to the ball, with the weight now more onto the toes. The knee is far forward now, and with momentum still carrying the lever arm, the ball of the foot is lifted, and lastly come the toes.

The amount of bones, ligaments, and muscles being contained in the ankle/foot conglomerate, like some multinational corporation abusing workers, gets overlooked on a constant basis, like folks who just want cheap bananas.

Taking for granted how complicated a thing like walking is, you never think about having to think about doing it. That's kinda where I am at the moment: having to learn how to walk.

My knee is achy, at most, but my ankle (holy shit my fucking ankle!) is what is causing my wrinkles in progress. My thigh still looks like a crackhead thigh, while my calf is starting to regain mass. Every day I take steps towards taking a step, and this all happens in slow motion, as I balance myself and watch in a mirror. I hop and hobble through daily activities, all the while imaging the motion and action of taking a step.

Learning to walk is much harder than you think. Maybe because most of us learn to walk at a time that we don't have faculties to understand that we're learning a complicated balancing act. When you're a toddler, you make it up on your hind legs and wobbly get around.

Balance is another thing of mine that's screwed up and needs to be adjusted. Now that I'm on two feet, I've come to notice that when I stand upright, my right foot--and the main bulk of my weight--is behind my left foot, by about three to four inches. When I bring my right foot even, making both sets of toes on the same line, my hips feel twisted, which is an unnerving situation for my brain. Part of my exercises are about centering my meridian and consciously working on my balance.

That and slow-mo walking, stair stretches used to strengthen my Achilles, and knee stretches to lengthen the tight ligaments.

Would've lost money on a bet about a broken femur recovery...never would've guessed it'd be my ankle causing the most pain.

Relearning to walk, though, is a challenge to which it's nice to finally be getting.

1 comment:

  1. so true..... so true... as I do the "Frankenstein Monster" stagger walk here... I long for the normal stride days or perhaps I need to learn that this is the new normal.

    ReplyDelete