Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Long Held Understandings Overturned (in Christmas Music)

Christmas songs. Every year at malls and restaurants and other spots the ubiquitous Christmas music and Christmas songs seem to be everywhere. They're public domain, so anybody can sing them and anybody can record albums of them; that seems to be why there's so many.

And, up until last night, December 17th of 2012, I had an incorrect understanding of a lyric of "The Twelve Days of Christmas". For my entire life I thought a lyric was one thing, only to learn it was not.

See, a comic strip in the paper is doing a pun-heavy parody of The Twelve Days, and one of their drawings I had no idea what it was punning. So I looked it up, and remembered. 

Then I noticed something. On the fourth day the true love gave "four collie birds". What? Four collie birds? Is this new to anyone else? And what's a collie bird? I looked it up: a "collie" bird, or "colly" bird, is a regular common European blackbird. That changed my whole concept of the song.

I'd been under the impression for my entire life up until last night was that the lyric was "four calling birds". I guess I'd always figured they were myna birds or some other mimic. Am I the only one there?

6 comments:

  1. That is not one of my favorite songs... i have others I dislike, I will say it is on my 10 least favorite list... but I too thought it was "calling" birds... not that it makes much more sense than collie birds.... lassie with wings....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought to mention how little I actually like the song, or, for that matter, any holiday song. I almost think a list for "least-liked" songs would need to be split between holiday vs non-holiday, and then, dang, it seems like there could be nearly endless divisions between genres and band configurations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. disliked songs.... ANYTHING by the Chipmunks, Little Drummer Boy, All I want for Christmas 2 front teeth...

    I really like Hard Candy Christmas,from Best little Whorehouse in Texas, and for me the Old standards are comforting... not sure why.... I'm not religious, but I do find it's Christmasy when O Come all ye Faithful or the like is on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so overtly exposed to these themes that we lose the original context. I actually didn't have any idea what that lyric was CONSCIOUSLY. I probably would sing whatever rolled off my tongue easily. One thing is certain to me this year...... I have very consciously avoided, " Merry Christmas"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Very consciously avoided 'Merry Christmas'."

    Put me and Corrie down for a heaping bowl of that humbuggery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for celebration, inebriation, and general consumption, just not in the name of an individual. I too like to exchange stuff with people I love and care about. Just not as a re-creation of some trio of 'wise dudes.'

    ReplyDelete