Friday, February 10, 2012

Dealing with Garbage, Developing Nation Style

The bus from Guatemala City to Rio Hondo pulled over at one point in front of a filling station. I saw the driver get out. He went over to a fence post and started to pee. A few other guys got out, peed, and lit cigarettes. Some of the older ladies on board got out and made way to the filling stations toilets.

I looked out and saw a lady across the street raking the leaves and trash from the previous night's wind and traffic. After acting as the Romans and peeing on a fence post, I returned to the bus and saw the lady finishing up. I took a picture.



Corrie disembarked for the lady toilets, and when she returned, I looked back over to the raking lady. She'd piled up the trash and leaves into neat piles. Then she lit them on fire.



The she walked away, leaving them to burn.

Pretty neat, though the lack of regard for air quality is a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment