Wednesday, February 1, 2012

New Toy

I've been recently fascinated, if you haven't been able to tell, with camera technology and old-timey cameras. I found a company that sells twin-lens reflex camera kits (other deals are cheaper than this link).

This type of camera is a box type you look down into, and a mirror and lens set up lets you see an image that's pretty much the same as what the shutter lens sees--that's the origin of the term "twin-lens".

These kits are for the person who likes putting things together, like mechanical models, and photography. I, while a fan of picture taking, may not be the most enthusiastic model builder. This opportunity--an inexpensive kit for building your own working camera--seemed to good to pass up.

The camera takes 35 mm film and no batteries. The kit comes with four springs, two lenses, and a number of tiny mostly well-marked other pieces. The online galleries of pictures taken with these plastic "toy" cameras show off the usual suspects that turn up with plastic lenses and bodies: the center is clear, sometimes crystal, and the fringes are a combo of leaked light and blur. They are quaint and cool, and show off the interesting low-end of the picture taking world.

Here are some pictures of me cursing quietly as I try my hand at the Engrish instructions:




Here's the finished product:



I'll post some pictures after I get them developed and scanned.

The camera would make a perfect gift for some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment