Friday, February 10, 2012

Reasoning behind "Giant" self-description

A 5'10", 180 lb man with reddish-blonde hair on his head and face not only stands out, but stands up, over many folks around here. More strikingly, a 5'8" curvy girl with long blonde hair really stands out, since she's taller than almost every guy as well.

We were carrying an expensive digital camera (Corrie's) that we'd insured, but not losing it was more of our plan. By "losing" I mean having it stolen, since we weren't going to ever leave it unsupervised, ever.

I decided that stares, catcalls, curses in Spanish, and various hoots and hollers could be handled, but this camera would have to be taken at gunpoint, and gunpoint only. I wore a sneer behind a goofy smile, and the catcalls and hoots never actually materialized.

Not that it was really necessary, since most people are rather nice, or at least not out to do specific harm, but it helped that I was bigger than almost everybody.

Corrie being a relative giant actually took attention away from me, since I went from big-fuzzy-gringo to an after thought as every man seemed to fall in love with Corrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment