Thursday, October 25, 2012

Camera-Phone Pictures: FX Filter Comparison

The title of this post makes the entire enterprise sound boring. Let's prove it's not!

One of the earliest free apps I downloaded was a thing called "FX Camera". It had a series of things it would apply to the photograph taken by the camera lens to make it look like it was taken with a special camera. The original effects were Toy Camera, Fishbowl, Polaroid, Pop Art, and "Quadro-Mirror".

The Toy Camera filter is my favorite of those, and it tries to give the picture the color and quality of an old Holga or Diana plastic camera, something I'm pretty familiar with. The Polaroid effect is also pretty neat. The Fishbowl effect is too grainy; the Pop Art effect turns one photo into a postcard with four of the same pictures tiled and in different colors (which makes it really hard to make anything out), and what I call "Quadro-Mirror" flips and spins an image, to make something resembling a Rorschach blot.

I just wanted to compare some of the effects here, since I just took the pictures off the camera.

Here are two pictures, one taken with the regular camera on my phone, and the second taken with the Toy Camera "filter" activated. This was from the long hike with Norm at the end of May:



You can see how the colors of the pilings have gone from what it looks like normally in the top picture, to the greened look in the bottom. I think it just messes with hues and saturation. I think I like the second picture better.

Then I thought I'd throw in some of the other filters I spoke about, so they can be seen.

Here's the mirroring effect (it can be controlled where it centers to Rorschaching:


Here's a pile of coins and a few bills (our retirement) rocking the Polaroid effect:


And here's the Pop Art filter. This is a bounty from the Farmer's Market, placed out on the table to be photographed.


No comments:

Post a Comment