Saturday, July 14, 2012

DVD Packaging

I noticed something strange the other day. It had to do with the last few DVDs I'd put in to watch or to have on as I did other things. What tripped me out about them was that they were all, all four of them, were of the old-school latching kind, you know, the first kind of DVD case:


So, the first disc is is the 1991 Funky Monks, the film Gus van Sant made of the Red Hot Chili Peppers when they were sequestered in the mansion recording their classic album "Blood Sugar Sex Magic". It's a must see for fans of the Chili Peppers or the album, or both. It's a nice slice of that magical time when the '90s were checking out the corpse of the '80s, which had just died.

The second DVD is The Matrix, an important movie for me (and Norm) when it first came out, and actually my very first DVD. We watched it recently, deluding ourselves that we could marathon the trilogy (quadrilogy if you count Animatrix) over a cloudy and stuffy weekend day. It was still pretty cool, if still somewhat slow. The photography and cinematography are all goddamned spectacular, if cliched nowadays. That's what happens to trend setters.

Here's a closeup of this old school type of latch:


The third movie is Drop Dead Gorgeous. A fantastic Allison Janney steals every scene she's in in this movie headlined by two separate Kirstens. I joke, but this movie is probably the best work Denise Richards ever did--it's like she'd actually acting! Will Sasso also cracks me up. I had this on as I went through some comic books for another post. It's good background material. If you like Allison Janney, or are hungover, this film could be good for you.

The last one is Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, something I watched as I wrote my Ernest Borgnine Memories post over on the original site.

When I was going to put them all away I realized that out of the maybe three hundred DVDs we have, we have maybe five or six that sport these old-school latching cases, and I'd watched four of them close enough to each other to not have put them away yet.

Weird? Maybe not...must just be me...

No comments:

Post a Comment