Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympic Observations

Uhh...this isn't about how NBC is jamming down our gullets Americana and the mass media personification of full volume shouts of 'MERKA!

Tonight on the main channel we've been getting the back and forth between the girls in gymnastics and the guys and girls in the pool swimming. These two body types are similar in that 1) everyone involved looks like each other; and 2) they're freaky as hell looking.

Is that just me?

The swimmers all look like aliens in their suits, all tight and pushing their muscles around to weird spots. I've seen that episode of The X-Files--it was scary then and it's scary now. What they're able to do in the water? Amazing...how they're arms and chests are elongated? Is it just me?

Now the gymnast girls. What those girls do, on the bars, on the vault and the balance beam, and the floor stunts and dances...all of that is just about the most amazing skill set for strength and balance. Watching it, I try to imagine myself simply walking across the balance beam, without a broken leg, and I nod to myself in the belief that, yeah, I could probably walk that shit. Backflip with no hands?

Those girls, though, remind me of chiseled ten-year-old boxers, little boys ready to throw down and beat up the fat bullies that patrol recess.

Very weird looking sets of people.

1 comment:

  1. wonder if the track and field folks will have the same effect on you??? but you are correct... they do have what appears to be freakishly long limbs and torsos...

    ReplyDelete